About Independence Power and Light
The city of Independence was a small community of 7,000 and 12 square miles when it decided to create a municipal-owned electric utility in 1901 with power generated at a small generator located on Dodgion Street. A $30,000 bond issue was approved in April 1901 by a margin of 884 for to 565 against - two votes more than the two-third required. A similar measure in Kansas City, Mo. to purchase a private utility failed.
A privately-owned electrical utility was created in 1887, formed by Independence businessmen, put struggled to provide electricity ending with a fired in Feburary 1901 that destroyed the small power plant practically ending the Citizens Electric Light Company.